FAQ about Admission to the School of Planning and Public Affairs

Abbi Castle (abigail-castle@uiowa.edu), 319-335-2773

The minimum requirements for admission are a bachelor’s degree in any major and a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions. Please refer to the Graduate College Admissions page for Urban and Regional Planning or Public Affairs for more information.

Submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the application fee. Create an admissions profile on the student portal at MyUI.uiowa.edu and follow the instructions to upload and submit all required documents.

Portfolios and writing samples are not required as part of the application process. A statement of purpose describing your interest in graduate school is required.

GRE scores are not required. Official LSAT and GMAT score reports may be submitted.

International applicants whose first language is not English must submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Automatic waivers of this requirement are granted for persons who have completed a bachelor's degree (or higher) at an accredited university in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada (excluding French Quebec), Africa (English speaking), Australia, or New Zealand. For more information, please refer to the English Proficiency Requirements of the Graduate College.

Assistantships and fellowships are offered. Fellowships are offered primarily to new students and are a flat sum of money. There is no work requirement for a fellowship. Assistantships require 10-20 hours of work per week and are accompanied by a tuition scholarship and stipend. The priority application deadline to be considered for funding is January 15. Please see our website for more information on financial assistance.

The admissions committee usually replies to applicants within 4-6 weeks of application completion.

Tuition amounts for graduate students are on the Registrar’s website. More information on estimated annual expenses is available for MPA and URP students.

A Financial Statement does not need to be submitted with the application materials. Once you are recommended for admission, international students must submit a financial statement.

Applicants admitted to the program can apply for one deferment or change of session for up to one year. International students are strongly encouraged to begin their program in the fall semester.

Of course! We have an Open House for prospective students in the fall and a Campus Visit Day for admitted students in the spring. If you’re unable to come to either of those, please contact Abbi Castle (or 319-335-2773) to arrange a personal visit.

We also hold virtual information sessions for prospective students. Please check our Admissions Events page for upcoming sessions.

School of Planning and Public Affairs
University of Iowa
347 Jessup Hall
Iowa City IA 52242-1316

FAQ about Iowa City

There are links to several housing resources on the Graduate Admissions website. An additional resource is to contact Iowa City area rental housing agencies. Our students often live in Iowa City, but commute from Coralville and North Liberty as well.

If you are interested in finding a roommate within the school, please contact our admissions coordinator.

Iowa City has a population of about 75,500. The metro area has a population over 171,500.