The field of transportation planning has become much broader in the past several decades, expanding from its focus on relieving traffic congestion to questions related to social equity, accessibility, climate impacts, and the benefits of physically active travel. This change has underscored the need to attract people from diverse disciplinary and social/ethnic backgrounds to the field. The next generation of transportation professional cannot simply be one in a team of specialists. They need to have a range of knowledge that allows them to see and solve problems without disciplinary boundaries.
The Online Certificate in Transportation Planning at the UI School of Planning & Public Affairs prepares professionals who can address this challenge.
- Students study and work with different disciplines and learn to develop sustainable, equitable and safe transportation systems.
- Certificate is advantageous for employment, professional development or advancement.
- The Transportation Planning Certificate is credentialed and will appear on the student's UI transcript.
- Online non-UI students pay the Graduate College resident tuition rate plus a technology fee.
- Certificate courses may be applied to a master's degree in Urban Planning at the University of Iowa if the student pursues a graduate degree after the certificate is completed.
Completion of the certificate provides students a robust background in transportation, methods and techniques for transportation analysis, and real-world project experience to improve their expertise and employability in a variety of professional transportation roles.
Fields of employment for students with the Transportation Certificate include:
• transportation planning
• transit or freight management
• bike/pedestrian policy advocacy
• public health through active mobility
• climate mitigation
Who should apply?
• Those with a bachelor’s degree in urban studies, planning, engineering and other fields who want to increase their employment options in transportation planning.
• Planners interested in further professional development.
• Graduate students at the University of Iowa and other institutions with an interest in the field.
For more information about the certificate program, please contact the Transportation Planning Certificate Coordinator:
Associate Professor of Instruction
School of Planning and Public Affairs
*Tuition rate for non-degree seeking students
Total semester hours: 12
|Cost: $605 per s.h.*|