Undergraduate-to-graduate (U2G) degree options are available allowing students to earn a graduate degree in public affairs and an undergraduate degree in less time than would be required to obtain the two degrees independently. This is because courses for one degree are considered as elective credit for the other degree program.
This is a universal U2G. It is open to students in all undergraduate majors at the University of Iowa.
Admission and Eligibility
Students should apply before the end of their junior year.
To be eligible for the MPA U2G program, students must have the following record:
- Completion of 80 s.h. of undergraduate work
- Transfer students need to have completed 30 s.h. at the University of Iowa
- GPA of 3.25
- Program is usually completed in senior year (senior classification/standing)
Under the MPA U2G program, students are able to take up to 15 semester hours of credit in the MPA program that will also count toward the undergraduate degree. Students may select from the following courses (descriptions available in the General Catalog).
|PBAF:5111||American Public Policy||3 s.h.|
|PBAF:5117||Bureaucratic Politics and Public Administration||3 s.h.|
|PBAF:6200||Analytic Methods 1||3 s.h.|
|PBAF:6205||Economics for Policy Analysis||3 s.h.|
|PBAF:6208||Program Seminar||1 s.h.|
|PBAF:6233||Public Finance and Budgeting||3 s.h.|
|PBAF:6240||Public Management||3 s.h.|
While the requirements of each U2G degree option vary, all have several key features in common. In each case a student must:
- Complete an approved area of concentration (either public and nonprofit management or public policy) in public affairs.
- Take at least 42 semester hours of public affairs courses that have been previously approved to count towards the master’s degree.
- Unless otherwise specified, a capstone is required of students in combined degree programs.
- Satisfy public affairs’ final examination requirement